Re: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on August 31, 2002 at 10:28:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Rick Denney on August 30, 2002 at 12:12:36:

Rick,
Perhaps you "knew what you read before you read". Lisa said that perhaps the girls want to play flute or clarinet because that is the stereotype they are buying into. I got into tuba because my sister played flute and I wanted to make her angry, so I picked trombone, moving shortly on to tuba. As another grad student in tuba performance, I have worked with a lot of young students who play tuba because they were told to because, "my size is the right size." This is a sad fact in the world. If I hear another female say, well, I play euhponium because tuba is to big for me, even though I want to play it, I will scream. Lisa was alluding too, and I agree, that the idea of a brass band program makes stereotypes null. It would probably be difficult the first year, but if one strong female joined the program, I guarantee that many would follow. If you doubt this, look at the Brass Rap program that Deanna Swoboda puts on. I know that she inspires young girls to look beyond the "girly" instruments and lets them know its okay to want to play something else. This issue is one that affects us differently, I am a girl who has struggled with the stereotypes, especially from orchestral conductors, and you are a guy who asks, whats all the fuss about. I just hope you can understand our point of view. By the way, I met Lisa ten years ago and she is the reason I didn't give up on the tuba, she was an older, amazing tuba player, and she was a girl. Best summer of my life when I figured out that girls could be good players, not only boys.
Heather Noyes

Follow Ups: