Re: Re: Chester's Alex

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 04, 2003 at 12:39:08:

In Reply to: Re: Chester's Alex posted by Bill Nazzaro on August 04, 2003 at 11:20:21:

Let' see. Yorkbrunners came out in the mid 80's and Seiji and Chester have a long history dating back to the 70's. I remember watching "Evening at the Symphony" in the mid 70's with Mr. Ozawa conducting Fantastique. There was Chester and Sam Pilafian playing the tuba parts on an Alex and Meinl respectively. I think Chester made the switch in the late 80's/early 90's. There are a ton of recordings out with Chester on an Alex. Any of the Leinsdorf recordings, Ozawa recordings through the late 80's, most of the DG stuff, etc. I daresay, Chester played his Alex alot longer than most people thought. For starters get the Complete Ma Vlast by Smetana on DG's Galleria Label. BSO with Kubelik. Chester sounds massive. Recorded in 1971. Also a good Three Nocturnes, Daphnis, etc from 1981 with Ozawa, some real fine playing there too. barry G. can probably set you up with more ideas on the time frame and recordings.

Chuck Jackson

Follow Ups: