Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SHS Tubamaster on August 06, 2003 at 16:35:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Chuck Jackson-Long on August 06, 2003 at 02:09:57:

Re the statement about high school students-competitive how?
The only BAT that came up in my contorted searchings for a new tuba was a Conn 25J that had been refurbished. Instead, I got a Miraphone 187, hardly a BAT. Now I wonder how Bobo and other players of the 186 managed to make it work in an orchestral setting. This year, I am playing in a high school band of nearly 100 students, with a large number of high brass and trombone/euphonium players, along with a large amount of woodwinds. There is one tuba-myself. These players generally play in such a manner as to put a lung through the horn. Now, I can play loud, but not for 85% of a 200-measure band piece with constant blasting from other sections. It is no wonder students feel the need for a BAT-with most players' levels of experience in HS, they are not able to get a nice loud sound from a small tuba, and so they may feel the need for the biggest horn they can get in order to "compete" with the band. I, at this point, can get a reasonably controlled loud sound, but not for 170 measures straight. So perhaps the "big tuba" idealism in HS bands stems from these factors, along with the idea that it's "what the pros use." If the pros started going back to large 4/4 size tubas, then the "fad" might subside. I feel "competitive" with my 187, so maybe further clarification of your meaning might be needed.

SHS Tubamaster

Follow Ups: