Re: Re: Re: Re: Reverse contour rims

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ace on August 06, 2003 at 19:16:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Reverse contour rims posted by Mary Ann on August 06, 2003 at 14:41:16:

I don't know if they are presently available. Brasswind sold Sanders mouthpieces until a few years ago. A local pro horn player let me try hers about 12 years ago, and I was immediately "sold". My memory is faded, but I believe the m/p box had a Michigan address and phone number. At any rate, I reached Neill Sanders' widow who had a supply of Sanders' brass instrument mouthpieces cluttering up her home. I bought the huge 17DD and a smaller 16M which I sold sometime ago. Mrs. Sanders told me that her husband felt his special countour rim actually forced the player's embouchure to be in the "correct" position for optimal playing. Snake oil? I don't think so.

I'll contact you if I run across the address information for Mrs. Sanders. Sanders made tuba mouthpieces also, but not in the reverse countour style. I recently sold one at auction to a tuba player in Canada. The rarity of the Sanders line of mouthpieces helps command a good price at the time of sale.

There are quite a few contributors to this board who have or had a Michigan connection. Perhaps some of them knew Neill Sanders when he was teaching in that area.

Follow Ups: