hype

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on August 06, 2003 at 19:48:45:

I was scanning some closing sales on the internet and saw yet another "SUPERBONE" in quite worn shape (shown by a badly out-of-focus picture) selling for a very very high price.

Of the name-brand trombones, this instrument's manufacturer is not particularly known for "outstanding" quality - nor popularity in general. As to the "SUPERBONE" model, it's original player (as best I remember), Maynard Ferguson, would (again, as best as I remember) pick this instrument up off the floor perhaps once in the evening during his period of high school auditorium concerts throughout the U.S. back in the '70's...a few ugly blats almost totally outside the chord changes and down it went back to the floor.

With such a mediocre overall reputation for quality of construction and such a dubious history of performance on the original version of this model, the collector popularity and nostalgia for this model is astonishing.

All of that being said, I cannot think of a make or model of instrument in the tuba family that was so highly hyped, is still sought after, yet promised or achieved so little.

Can anyone else think of such an example in the tuba family?

Follow Ups: