Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Nazzaro on August 07, 2003 at 08:02:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Wade on August 06, 2003 at 23:22:21:

I found this doing a simple Google search for focal dystonia:

"a genetic disease, with these features: adult onset; no known cure; it rarely goes into remission; its not usually progressive."

There are cases of this disease developing in children, but that may be rare. It seems the Mayo Clinic has an FD center, as does Brigham & Womens Hospital in Boston.

This is not a disease of only the mouth (something I did not know). The letter I linked to is from a violinist who learned to play left-handed because of FD. It is a disease that affects muscle control, so that impulses from the brain do not translate to the movements that were intended. That explains why Chuck wrote, "Actually recovered is not quite the right word, I have trained new muscles."

All of this is what I gathered from one website. I could be way off base, but this seems correct. If it is genetic, the question becomes, is this something that could be avoided and is exacerbated by continual use, or would it happen anyway? Obvioulsy more research is needed.

Follow Ups: