Re: Re: Re: Tough Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on August 09, 2003 at 20:25:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tough Dilemma posted by Andy Smith on August 09, 2003 at 17:13:52:

FWIW, the winning instruments from the last 7 Marine Band auditions. Beginning with the most recent: Getzen G50, HB2P, HB2, Kalison Pro 2000, HB2P, Cerveny Piggy, Yamaha 321 Eb(that one was Sheridan- the guy coulda won it on a hosaphone). These were what folks used for the majority of prepared and unprepared material- most brought F's or Eb's for their solos.
Do you like your instrument(as in , do you enjoy playing it more than others you can realistically afford?) I seem to remember you posting how much you enjoy playing the Conn- is this still true? Is that extra 5% of performance ease really worth the thousands of dollars difference in price? If you don't have the resources, then it probably isn't.
These things, last I checked, don't count steady time for the player, nor do they take care of many of the other aspects of good musicianship. They make sounds with input from us- as long as they respond adequately and reasonably in tune, the rest isn't nearly as horn-dependant.
Did that all make any sense? I fear I was rambling...
Cradler

Follow Ups: