Re: Tough Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by My take... on August 10, 2003 at 17:22:11:

In Reply to: Tough Dilemma posted by Andy Smith on August 09, 2003 at 15:20:07:

While it's true that you can play anything on your 56 and it's the sound in your head, etc, etc. ad nauseum, it's also true that certain horns produce a sound that is more suited to a modern orchestral sound. It's no coincidence, in my opinion, that two well known players in the NY metropolitan area who play the Conn have recently both purchased 6/4 Nirschl York copies. The reason... to be competitive in the upcoming New York Philharmonic audition, the Conn alone is just not going to cut it.

A year or so ago, I took my Getzen (the same basic size as your Conn) down to Baltimore Brass and compared it side by side with a used HB2P. Finally, I asked Dave Fedderly, who was across the room, what he was hearing. His comment... they both sounded great, but the Hirsbrunner sounded "more orchestral". There you have it.... same player, same tonal concept, DIFFERENT sound 100 feet away. This is, I believe, exactly what your teacher is referring to, and I think his opinion has merit.

My suggestion is to get another opinion about your sound and how it relates to your performance goals. I think Dave Fedderly would be a great choice. You have a couple of weeks before your cross country trek. Why not take a day or two and head down to Baltimore. Take a lesson with Mr. Fedderly. While you're there, try the MW 2000's at his store. It seems many recent audition winners are playing this model. Also, at his store right now is the HB2P that Chris Hall used to win the Met audition. And play, of course, whatever else is in the store (and maybe also at Dillons, an easy stop on the way). I think this experience might help you answer your own questions.

Good luck

Follow Ups: