Re: Re: "Reading" Orchestra experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on August 11, 2003 at 17:53:59:

In Reply to: Re: "Reading" Orchestra experience posted by RandyB on August 08, 2003 at 12:42:31:

I also struggled with bifocals, complicated by the fact that the prescription really needed to be updated.
The problem, for me, was solved with the contact lens solution of one closeup lens for reading and one for distance. I'd been doing that reading text for a long time but hadn't tried it with music after returning to tuba playing after a very long absence.
For these 56 yr old eyes, the contact lenses gave me great clarity of the music in front of me and the ability to watch the director without having to look over my glasses at a moving blur. Seemed like when I was using the bifocal glasses I was never able to position the stand in a place that gave me the right focal length to read the music easily and still be able to see the director.

The contact lenses work well, but I also want to note that sometimes the focal length of the closeup (reading) lens has to be fiddled with by trial and error until you have the right prescription that allows easy reading of the sheet music at a comfortable distance.

Worth the effort, though!

I do know some other concert band folk where I play who have similar problems, and some have opted for the music reading prescription solution, which works well for them.

Follow Ups: