Re: Re: Poll: other music style preference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hmmmm, why? on August 14, 2003 at 07:36:32:

In Reply to: Re: Poll: other music style preference posted by Hmmmmm interesting on August 13, 2003 at 22:50:07:

My "Spidey Sense" is tingling. I hope it's a false alarm.

So I'll ask. Why is that interesting? I'm probably about as musically unsophisticated as this list gets, and even I wouldn't listen to that (c)rap. I feel the same way about bagpipes, except that at least bagpipe players don't glorify rape and murder.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems as if the subtext of your message is that we are excluding rap and soul because it's not 'white guy music'. But if not,why is it interesting that no one mentioned rap or soul, but not interesting that no one mentioned celtic music or southern gospel? I'm sure you have noticed that some great black musicians have been mentioned. I specifically recall Basie & Nestico, and I mentioned Ray Charles & Lou Rawls (BTW - by what reckoning are THEY not soul music??) I think you'd get amen choruses on many more: Ella, Satchmo, Lena Horne, Duke Ellington, Billie Holliday, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, James Brown -- and to anyone who would say that those are all OLD music, I'd direct them to the lists posted so far; none are contemporary chart toppers, as far as I recall. I think you'll find that most people who have studied music have a hard time calling rap 'music', and probably also find little worth listening to in any other pop music today. And I CERTAINLY have no respect for the majority of rap that I've heard, with its vulgarity, violence and mysogeny. So no, rap is not on my list, and I'll make no apologies for that.

Anyway, as I say, I hope I'm misreading your point. But if it's something else, you might want to state it more clearly, because I don't guess I get it.

Joe Baker, who has seen entirely TOO many ridiculous charges of racism lately, and MIGHT be overly sensitized.

Follow Ups: