Re: Re: Poll: other music style preference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on August 15, 2003 at 13:37:25:

In Reply to: Re: Poll: other music style preference posted by euphgirl on August 14, 2003 at 15:22:07:

There's so much I'd like to say in response to this, but this:
admittedly some of it is extremly violent, overtly sexual, screaming of misogynism, and so forth, but the rest of it just makes me want to dance.
leaves me dumbfounded. It reminds me of a girl I knew in H.S. who dated this guy, and once told me, "yeah, he hits me, he humiliates me in front of my friends, and he calls me terrible names, but he is SOO good looking." I feel EXACTLY the same way about her statement and yours.

It's a shame that the schools have cut arts programs, but does that REALLY make just anything they say or do okay? My parents went to a little one-room school that had no music program; but they never came up with 'art' that was as poisonous as rap. Yes, you need to know what the kids are listening to, just as you need to know what kinds of drugs some of them are taking; but that doesn't mean you need to participate in it.

I know everyone reading this probably thinks I've got a real bee up my bu** about this, but I'm just a zealous parent. I've got three teenagers, ages 14-19. I've watched them slip into and out of trouble (mostly out of), and likewise their friends. The one ABSOLUTELY CONSTANT factor in these kids being in trouble is their listening to either rap or heavy metal music (heavy metal is the white boys' rap, with the added noise of high-distortion electric guitars, and with a different type of anti-social message). I've heard that there are 'good kids' who listen to rap, but I've yet to meet one.

Joe Baker, who wonders what will become of a generation that feeds itself a diet of hatred and selfishness.

Follow Ups: