Re: Tuba Box

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on August 16, 2003 at 23:16:27:

In Reply to: Tuba Box posted by Scott on August 14, 2003 at 18:31:15:

I'm sensitive to this because my vintage York tuba arrived with a creased bell last month, and UPS' insurance is a fraud. They take money but don't pay claims. The horn was shipped bell-down, in a used box. That was no excuse for UPS dropping the box, however.

Best used box I ever saw originally had been used to ship an ATM machine, and had an internal wooden frame. However, insurance claims may be denied for a used box. The insurance adjuster will assert that the box was damaged before use and wasn't strong enough to offer protection.

I would recommend shipping with the bell up, using an underinflated volleyball as a shock absorber stuffed in the bell. Put lots of shock absorbing material under the bottom bow. You could use foam rubber upholstery pads from a fabric shop. Also, I have used a cut-up pieces from an ensolite, sleeping bag roll from the camping section of a discount store. Remember to mark the outside with big arrows and warnings "This Side Up."

You could have custom foam protection, also. The link shows what it looks like.

Make sure that the mouthpiece is separately wrapped up and will not bounce around creating damage.

Follow Ups: