Re: Re: Re: Re: PT 15

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on August 20, 2003 at 17:55:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: PT 15 posted by Confused on August 20, 2003 at 06:28:43:

"The horns with a more 'balanced resistance' tend to be dead, lack tonal variation and let you get away with a lot of sloppy playing.. that's why so many love them.."

I'm confused as well. I guess, someday when I finally become a real man that can really play, I'll find the biggest most "open" tuba that I can find. That way, I can show everyone how strong I am.
The comment in quotes reminds me of just about every other aspect of instrument manufacture (in general)...even the .0004" cosmetic plating coating on some instruments. You'll find those who describe the same effect (whatever it may be) as "stuffy"-"open" / "bright/dark" / and endless other perceived opposites of observations.

I do know that I can control vibrating my lips through any tuba more easily than I can control vibrating my lips out into an open room. I'll stay with my theory that a certain amount of resistance = control and too little resistance = less control.

One weakness of this forum is that it relies almost 100% on words and almost 0% on sound demonstrations. Even the sound demonstrations that are bravely offered by a few are played by the rest of us through the equivalent of transister radio speakers, and not very demonstrative.

Follow Ups: