Re: Finally got the tuba for my son

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on August 20, 2003 at 22:08:59:

In Reply to: Finally got the tuba for my son posted by Jim on August 20, 2003 at 14:34:57:

Jim, the previous answers to you post are quite correct, but no one answered your basic question of what do the slides do. Slides allow the length of the tubing to be adjusted. When the tubing is lengthen, the pitch is lowered slightly. This allows the instrument to be tuned accurately for the individual player, weather conditions, and the individual instrument. We ofter say in jest that, "My horn was tuned at the factory." Well yes and no. Just as an automobile that is tuned at the factory need to be tweaked, so do brass instruments. There are two types of slides on a brass horn. Each valve has one that effects only that valve, and there is a master tuning slide that effects the entire horn. There is a process to totally tune the horn, but for now using just the main slide will likely be enough. Get Bb in tune and the rest of the pitches should be somewhat close, and that's good enough for a beginner. As noted, keep the slides lubed, but avoid Vaseline and similar petroleum products. There are slide lubes on the market, but I find Bag Balm works well. You can get a small can at a feed store, or any place that handles farm products.

Follow Ups: