Re: Re: Music instructional material for C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 23, 2003 at 20:49:22:

In Reply to: Re: Music instructional material for C tuba posted by Doug on August 12, 2003 at 22:22:25:

When you switch to ANY new axe, especially one in a new key, if you possibly can, play everything you do on the new horn exclusively for at least a month. The fingerings, and substitute fingerings for the half steps, whole steps, etc. are problematic on all horns in the same manner - no matter the key, and every horn is a little different.

Write your own fingering chart, check the horn out with a tuner, and make some notes. But resist going back to what's "comfortable" - your old horn in BBb or whatever - until you give yourself a chance to adjust, don't lay a head trip on yourself.

Plus, even though it's just a step, the air column you're filling is DIFFERENT. Don't be surprised if you find yourself "undershooting" notes for a while.

I just got a new horn (same old key) after 30 years, have gone back to playing a four-valve horn, and I've played every gig that's come through this summer on the new axe - I keep doing it until I get it right, and keep experimenting with different fingerings, slide positions, etc. until I find out what it does. They all play a little different from one another.

If you're committed to making the change, make the change.

Follow Ups: