Re: Tuba metallurgics, carbon sousas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on August 25, 2003 at 08:10:02:

In Reply to: Tuba metallurgics, carbon sousas posted by SHS Tubamaster on August 24, 2003 at 20:36:16:

I remember asking a similar question a few years ago, but in regards to an aluminum tuba. The basic response I got was that each different metal will resonate differently, leading to not only different sounds but at times very funky intonation. One poster even commented that Chuck D. of the Canadian Brass became dissatisfied with his carbon fiber bell because it projected too well. I can't speak for the accuracy of either claim.

However, Goodgigs might have a point that for general sound in an ensemble, it would be hard to tell the difference. But since the main advantage to a lighter horn would be standing (which for me would be solo playing) using a substance detrimental to the sound would be impractical.

I'm quite certain I haven't actually answered your question, I'll leave that to the engineers on the board ;-)

Doug "a way to make his Getzen lighter and still sound good would be appreciated" G

Follow Ups: