Re: Re: Re: Need gregson concerto piano part ASAP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by pendergrass on August 28, 2003 at 12:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Need gregson concerto piano part ASAP!!! posted by John on August 28, 2003 at 09:47:45:

I'm not going to argue with you. Seeing as how neither of us knows each others background or tastes. I do think that this piece is played more often than not on a level that is less than that of what it should be. Obvious examples are some of the recital recordings found on Kazaa or that I have witnessed myself. (Some of which you MAY consider upper tier tuba programs.)

My goal is to not argue philosophical points or better schools. I just get rather frustrated with some of the rep that high school teachers have their students playing, and the practice by which the upper register is achieved. (such as; awkward embouchure, lack of air support, drastic mouthpiece changes)

I have come across this problem before, such as a Sophomore high school student playing the Williams on a BBb using a mouthpiece that was so small the shank had been double taped to fit. Using an embouchure that had almost zero lower lip in the mouthpiece.

Sorry, it is not my place to assume the level of the original poster's ability, so my apologies to him, and you if you were offended.

"very few upper level college students can play that piece with justice." just my opinion, maybe I am wrong. I have been rather discouraged with some of the performances of this piece i have seen, and recordings also.

Sorry, i hope you didn't mean to seem as tort as you sounded and likewise with myself.

~WP :-)

Follow Ups: