Re: Is band "uncool"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 30, 2003 at 20:21:40:

In Reply to: Is band "uncool"? posted by Geezer on August 30, 2003 at 20:07:05:

I have aquintances here in Vegas that teach Middle School band. All of them have over 350 kids in their programs and wuld take more if they had the room and the support from the schools to hire an assistant band director. The above named programs are quite amazing in their polished performances and each sports a great jazz band. It is considered an honor to be ALLOWED into a music program other than choir.

Orchestra programs are much the same. My main feeder has (AT) 180 kids in the program. This is pretty normal for class enrollment. I know of a couple of programs that have more than 200 in each school.

Las Vegas is the fastest growing school district in the nation. We have an enrollment of 250,000 students and open, on the average, 15 new schools a year. There are, at last count, close to 35 high schools.

Unfortunatley, because of the constant rezoning that happens, high school programs go up and down yearly. I have roughly 85 students in my High school orchestra program while the band has 125. I suspect once the valley maxes out in growth, my school will be over the 200 mark in band and close to 150 in orchestra. I foresee this happening in 2-3 years.

Geezer, sorry I rambled. It is VERY COOL to be in music here in Vegas, more so than most districts. Too bad your kids aren't interested.

Chuck

Follow Ups: