Re: Is band "uncool"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 31, 2003 at 00:38:35:

In Reply to: Is band "uncool"? posted by Geezer on August 30, 2003 at 20:07:05:

Statistically, the smartest kids in most schools are in the music program. It has been proven that learning to play a musical can raise a child's IQ by as much as 25 points. Besides, the band gets to go places other school programs do not. When you learn to play an instrument, you acquire the tools of musicmaking (maybe you'll switch to guitar later from marching mellophone, that's okay), which, unlike most high school athletics, remain with you for the rest of your life. People play their instruments into their 90s - see any ninety year old football players?

During the marching rehearsals you get to hang around the better looking girls in the school (cheerleaders, twirlers, colorguards, etc., and make dates for the weekend.

I have performed with many types of ensembles, bands, groups, and orchestras on my tuba, and have enjoyed a career in music - which all started marching with a sousaphone in band. I am an unapologetic band musician, for the simple reason that there is nothing, and I mean nothing like a band.

I have always felt sorry for people who didn't get the chance to play in a band - they missed something wonderful in their lives. There is a fellowship that exists in bands that is found nowhere else. Get your kids to resist the peer pressure nonsense and join the band.

Follow Ups: