Re: Re: Re: Kings new BBb Contra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on September 01, 2003 at 12:31:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Kings new BBb Contra posted by Chris B. on August 31, 2003 at 21:30:16:

Oh, god, those dang two-horn coffins!! I detested having to unload them from our 18 wheeler before use, but repacking and reloading them was even worse after a 16 hour day on the field.

I rode mine down a nice, grassy hill once by accident. Getting it back up was not easy.

Now it is you who have brought back some memories, as I had forgotten about those crates.

We kept those contras in pretty decent shape, as well. But touring is very rough on horns. They had some dents and dings in '84, but still looked great and played quite well. I saw them a few years later and they were pretty beat up; it was a sad sight. I chose to march with SR because of those horns. I would kill to own one of the original eight; big old heavy things. What a great sound!

The hornline used to shower with our bugles every day in order to wash out the collected dust and dirt, then we would relube and polish them before the nightly show. Never seen so many CLEAN brass instruments used by a group of kids.

Nice to meet one of the "Plank Owners" of the K-90. Didn't Mark Searcy march in your section? He was an instructor in '84.

Wade "our prototypes were better than the production model" Rackley

Follow Ups: