Re: Conn 7 vs Conn7B mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T on December 11, 1999 at 11:46:42:

In Reply to: Conn 7 vs Conn7B mouthpieces posted by Steve on December 11, 1999 at 08:08:27:

From what I understand Conn Helleberg mouthpieces are available in two sizes.
You can get what they call a "7B" or a "Standard."
The 7B is a little smaller than a standard (I use both) and it has a wider rim resulting in a smaller cup. The rim on the standard isn't so wide, which results in a large cup. Both of them are very nice mouthpieces, but I personally would pick a standard over "7B"
I have owned my 7B since I started playing, and now that I have a standard also, I only use the 7B on my sousaphone during marching band season, and the standard is used on my concert instrument only.
For what it is worth the 7B is only available from Conn is silver, and the "standard" can be purchased in either silver or gold plate.

I got a new gold one, and my best friend uses a silver one...and honestly, gold just looks cool and functionally does nothing (at least to me).

I wish I had just two standard size mouthpieces because I prefer to play on a more narrow rim with a larger cup. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get used to the 7B after I have spent all day playing on my standard.

The bottom line is that they both are excellent choices. I just like the standard a little better because of the more narrow rim and larger cup.

The difference is a little hard to explain--- I would recommend looking at both in person. A local music store should have a least one of each for you to compare. Also keep in mind that music stores can order just about whatever kind of mouthpiece you want.

Thanks

T

Follow Ups: