Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve on December 12, 1999 at 15:21:11:

In Reply to: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 00:40:13:

T-
I think that the key of the horn doesn't matter as much as what you do with it. I'm assuming that you are still in H.S. or early on in your college career. If you're still in high school, you need to know that the amount of playing you will do in college will probably be CONSIDERABLY greater than the amount of time you spend on the horn now. By the time you finish college, you will have played on your horn so much that fingerings will not be a consideration. Anyone that can play the entire Arban trombone or trumpet book well can play just about anything in the tuba repertoire, regardless of the key of their horn. Find the sound that you like on a horn that is appropriate for the uses you intend, and buy it. That said; if you're going to major in music, I think that a CC is the better choice. In addition to the reasons already given, I'll give you another. Your grade for lessons in college will be based on a performance before a jury of faculty. (Remember juries gang?) Most of the solos written for tuba seem to "sit" better on the CC. (Yes I know what I said earlier, but why use a tack-hammer when you can use a nail-gun?). But more importantly, the CC will give you a slightly higher range without compromising the lower register, especially with a 5th valve. It's infinitely easier to play a G above the staff on a CC. That's not an uncommon note in the solo literature, and if you're going to play these solos for a grade, and not just the love of the music, you need to give yourself every advantage that you can.

Follow Ups: