Re: "Miraphone 186-S" I need some info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick M on December 13, 1999 at 09:13:40:

In Reply to: "Miraphone 186-S" I need some info posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 14:48:19:

When I purchased my 186 last year I had a lot of the same questions so here is what I found...

1 - the 186 series is available in BBb or CC, Miraphone denotes the difference in the model numbers (186BB or 186CC)

2 - from what I can tell, the S-186 doesn't have a lot of the Nickel pieces of the "Pro" 186 (bell ring, some tuning slides, lead pipe, etc).

3 - I'd check with Charlie at the Brasswind. I was able to find a fairly new one used.

4 - They can be purchased at the Brasswind and Woodwind in South Bend IN, or the Tuba Exchange in NC.

5 - The "pro" 186 can also be purchased in a BBb and CC.

6 - Check with the same folks for the "pro" model.

If you'll point your browser to www.wwandbw.com and choose view full catalog online, you can go to the tuba pages of the brasswind catalog to get specs. The Miraphone web site is mixed english and german and doesn't show as many specs.

Someone also asked about the DVS system. If it is the same as what I have on my horn, the linkages consist of a ball with a nylon cover and tension screw. As the bearing wears you can adjust the screw so that it remains tight. I don't think it is anything fancy, when it gets loose the linkage gets very noisy and if you loose the adjustment screw (as the previous owner did on mine) you are pretty much hosed. I am planning to have all the linkages changed out to rod end bearings (Unibal linkage) soon.

All of that said, the 186 is a nice horn. I chose it after spending a few weeks with a St. Pete but didn't spend much time with anything else. Several have remarked that the S-186 is the same as the Pro horn without all the Nickel and that it doesn't play much differently.

Now - Let me delicately add some opinion. I am an ameteur player and was not a music major in college (although I happily accepted some tuba scholarship money). So the criteria for purchasing the horn was a little different this time around. My first horn was purchased at my Professors discretion and was a very nice Cerveny Piggy CC. I used it to snag a good bunch of change. The second time around I was looking for a good horn to play in brass quintet and various volunteer orchestras. At this point I don't think I will be doing any session work or be in the New York Philharmonic any time soon.

If you are looking for a horn to get you through college I would recommend talking with your instructor or the professors at the schools you are considering. I don't think any of them will be recommending the St. Pete as your primary instrument, I believe they would recommend VMI, Miraphone, Cerveny, Getzen, Meinl Weston, Willson, Rudolph Meinl, etc. I know money is tight and you are getting a bad case of sticker shock (you've been very active posting) but be patient, keep an eye on the used market, and get as much horn as you can without feeling like you settled for the cheapest brand.

Enough rambling...

Follow Ups: