Re: Hot tubas on MID-WEST conference?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on December 17, 1999 at 18:24:15:

In Reply to: Hot tubas on MID-WEST conference? posted by AT on December 17, 1999 at 00:40:48:

I was at MidWest yesterday, and I tried out a few horns. The hands down best instrument I played was at the MW booth with Dave Fedderly. The horn I really loved was the 45slp F tuba. I played this instrument a year ago and I really liked it, but I liked the one I played yesterday even more. It was so even, and easy to play. Pitch was good, too.

I played the PT 10 adn PT 15 f tubas as well. These two instruments played identical to me. I wasn't really impressed with either one. They were both great instruments, but I have a PT 10, and neither one of these played better than the one I already own.

There was a new CC tuba that I was surprised to see. There was a brand new HB-2P. Hirsbrunner is going to start making them again, from what I was told. The design is slightly different, but not a ton. The loop in the lead pipe is still there, just shoved over a bit. I played the 2P right next to the HB-21, and the horns seemed like they played the same to me. The one major advantage of the 2P over the 21 was that you could reach through to the 1st slide with the 2P. Both played really nice.

I liked the PT 6P, but not the PT6. The piston horn seemed to be easier to play. The responce seemed quicker.

Anyone play the MW 2155? This was the one horn I really didn't like. It felt like I was blowing through a brick wall. Anyone else have that feeling? The 2145 and the 2165 both played great, but the 55 just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, these are my opinions on what I played. I'd love to hear what others thought, but I hope things don't get out of hand. These are only my opinions, and by no means do I expect that eveyone will feel the same way.

mike russo

Follow Ups: