Re: Re: Re: Tubas in swing bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 17, 1999 at 23:19:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubas in swing bands posted by Doug on December 17, 1999 at 22:58:01:

I can't argue against a BBb sousaphone. I would probably pick the sousa over a Miraphone for achieving the sound I was describing, above. I really like using the technique that I described above on my Eb helicon, but (confessing) since my F tuba plays much better in tune than the one Eb helicon that I now have soldered together, I almost always use the F, lately.

When I finish putting my BETTER SOUNDING and QUITE IN TUNE 'other' Eb helicon back together, I will probably use it almost exclusively on jazz jobs. I REALLY like the combination of an Eb 'short' tuba (quick, flexible) with a large 'heliconical' bell (just barely 'spread' and 'funky'). That's why I REALLY like my 'favorite' Eb helicon (which, originally was an Eb sousaphone), when it is soldered together and usable (currently removing dents and making it bell-detachable [for airline travel] after a valve rebuild).

Many times, when I have showed up with my tuba AND my string bass, I have selected the tuba for use on some of the female singers' ballads. In combos where I was not well-known (by reputation, but not personally), one or two guys in the band would whisper (NO MAN! USE THE BASS!) during these situations. I would ignore them, and at the end of those tunes I would hear the predictable (wow...cool) comments. No brag...just TUBA!!!! (THE expressive 'bass' instrument) ;^)

Follow Ups: