Re: Re: Acoustical reality of finishes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Griff on December 19, 1999 at 23:54:10:

In Reply to: Re: Acoustical reality of finishes posted by Doug on December 19, 1999 at 23:05:51:

Doug,
Electro plating refers to a process that atomically bonds one element to another element(in this case, usually brass). I learned a lot about this process recently by talking to Kevin Powers. I found a guy locally(J.D. Rollinson) that electro plates gold to metal objects. He is very good and not really well known. He is also VERY INEXPENSIVE AND VERY FAST. He gold plated my new Willson Euphonium top and bottom caps as well as the valve buttons(kinda looks like the Prestige or the new Millenium model without the added expense). He was only going to charge me $35-but I gave him $50 because he's a real good family guy and he spent $8500 on his equipment last year and basically lost a lot of money trying to start his business(Advertising kills young entreprenuers). He uses real equipment--be cautious, there are a lot of "gypsy platers" out there who offer great deals by brushing nickel, gold, or whatever on to your item. Find out how many amps they are using, what kind of equipment, solutions, and whether they adhere to the ISO 9000 series of standards for metallurgists. If you are interested in plating objects, this guy is for real. His name is John(J.D.)Rollinson (740)374-3321.
For the rest of it, it sounds like typical Yamaha propaganda.

Follow Ups: