Re: Tubas in swing bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland J. on December 21, 1999 at 14:40:05:

In Reply to: Tubas in swing bands posted by Doug on December 17, 1999 at 22:19:59:

Let's remember that tubas were used before string basses, anyway -- it was the advent of recording studios and PA systems that allowed a string bass to be heard well enough.

Even though a tuba would be loud enough, it's not unreasonable to run it through a PA to enable lighter playing.

Another CD to listen to would be Boston Brass's jazz CD -- Randy Montgomery does an awesome job of keeping the bass line moving, and he's so good at it that it's completely unobtrusive.

My mind must be fried today -- I can't remember the famous big band who always used a tuba instead of a string bass.

And, I've been told that a bandleader in LA (Leslie something... I'm stumped!) uses a pair of 2-valve King K90 contrabass bugles in his band for the bass.

I'm still concerned about using a keyboard as a drummer, though. One of the really nice things about swing/jazz playing is the communication between the personnel, and a drummer's ability to change feel, add accents, or get out of the way, seems, to me, an indespensible part of having a drum sound up there at all. But, hey, if there's a core value to this kind of music, it's _experimentation_, and, as I think Satchmo said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

Seeya,
Leland
(off to go find his memory...)

Follow Ups: