Re: Re: Re: Re: Odd buzzing sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 21, 1999 at 20:53:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Odd buzzing sound posted by Doug on December 21, 1999 at 15:00:27:

Here is more information than you asked for, but his two main series are his "H" series (Helleburg) and "N" series (C4 hybrids) [Remember, these are MY OPINIONS.]

In the "H" series, the deepest, or the #1, is the "real" Helleburg, and the #2,#3, and #4 are SHALLOWER interpolations of that rim, throat, backbore, cup width, and general cup shape.

In the "N" series, the shallowest, or the "N4-Tommy Johnson Model" (shallowest) is the "real" C4-style mouthpiece,with the #3, #2, and #1 versions being DEEPER CUPPED
interpolations of it.

This way, IMO, Joe M. was able to take his versions of two very popular models of mouthpieces and stretch them out into eight models.

Incidentally, his C4 copy, the N4 Tommy Johnson, offers more available actual volume of sound than a stock C4, a rounder-sounding low register, and still has a nice small-tuba--appropriate "ring" and clarity to its sound.

I refused to carry their tuba mouthpieces for years, thinking them some offbrand that had
telemarketing salesmen that called me all of the time, similar to the sleazy newsprint guitar supplies wholesalers. One day, I was in a weird mood, and agreed to let them send me a sampling of mouthpieces. Playing-wise, I had been struggling with Bach's, Conn Helleburgs, Schilkes, and European M1/M0 plus Peranstuff. The H1 really impressed me, and I have kept a few different "H"s in the drawer for sale ever since. I still use the H1 on my big tuba. As to the N4 for my F tuba, I think if I had gotten used to it 20 years ago, I would be better off, but I am far too used to my own little custom C4-style mouthpiece (circa 1976) that it is now too much trouble to learn to use the N4.

I sell any of them for about $60 over the counter.

Follow Ups: