Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on December 22, 1999 at 07:20:54:

In Reply to: Majoring in Music posted by J on December 22, 1999 at 03:15:19:

When I was working on my undergraduate degree I always thought it rediculous to spend so much time on coursework which seemed to distract from the process of practicing, ensemble experience, and concert going needed to prepare for auditions. Looking back I would say to stay away from classes which tax you heavily for time, such as a 5 hr calculus class when 2 easier 100 level "Intro to FooBar" type classes will get the job done. My most enjoyable classes were my non-music electives. I can more easily apply philosophy and poetry to music than I can the history of some medieval zither player.

To complete in 4 years will require a full load at all times, but this can be made easier if you take classes during the summer. Also take lessons during the summer. That will keep the progress going strong year round.

Above all though, 4 years is really NOT that long a period of time to both build musically AND win that first job. Be in top audition condition every day and put in lots of time on the horn. It is easy to think that you still have 2-3 years left of school and take it easy for a few days or weeks in a row. Years consist of those days and weeks.

sean

Follow Ups: