Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve dedman on December 22, 1999 at 09:31:05:

In Reply to: Majoring in Music posted by J on December 22, 1999 at 03:15:19:

J

As a former music major, I can tell you that I did have to take 8 - 10 classes per semester to get a "full load". It's not as difficult as it may sound. Don't worry that ypu won't have time to do the things that other "normal" students do, but don't be a hermit of the practice room, either. you will experience more in your 1st sem. at college than at any other time in your life. Don't get too distracted to remember why tou're there. The thing to REALLY watch for is burnout. Don't let anyone push you to be in too many things. My 1st semester I was involved in 6 ensembles, because I thought that more opportunities to play meant better playing, and no full-time teacher to tell me any differently. What it really meant was not even being able to think about a practice room by midterms. THAT'S when you get burnt out & distracted. Pace yourself. Some of this music has been around for 150 years or more. If you pass up an opportunity to play it this semester, you'll probably get another chance. You play because you love it. Believe me, it really sucks when it becomes more work than enjoyment.

Follow Ups: