Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Plake on December 22, 1999 at 11:27:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!! posted by Gary S on December 22, 1999 at 00:49:09:

The reason that I said to look through previous posts is because I believe they tell the story better than I ever could. You see stories of bad plating, thin metal that dents easily, valve problems due to any number of factors, etc.....

Look, I have played several St. Petes and the first impression is that they are an ok horn, especially for the money. The problem is that for every satisfied customer (and they are out there!) there are at least as many people who had to invest considerable time, money, and resources fixing problems that ended up making their $2800 dream horn a $4,000 nightmare.

I think the bottom line is this: A lot of people think that you can't expect much out of a tuba that costs around $3,000. I do not buy into this idea at all. $3,000 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it and I think that someone who spends that kind of money on a horn should stand better than 50/50 odds of getting one that will hold up.

But, the usual disclaimer applies! This is just my opinion and my perception. If someone finds a St. Pete that fits them and it holds up under fire then I would be the first person to be happy for them.

Happy Holidays everyone,
Mike

Follow Ups: