Re: Re: Horn Colors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on December 24, 1999 at 14:07:53:

In Reply to: Re: Horn Colors posted by Matt Walters on December 18, 1999 at 17:43:30:

Well, like teacher then I guess like student. Just a week ago I was "pure silver", but now in the past week I have acquired a little 70-year-old Glassl F (thanks Lee S.!) and an OLD Mirafone 184 (thanks John S.!) ......the Glassl is bare brass and so is the Mirafone (mostly.) Prolly the cost trade-off is not worth the price of re-finishing on the F, but the Mirafone however "might" be. It is just rough enough, yet just straight enough, that I am thinking of having it cleaned straightened (or at least the bell spun and maybe a new tone-ring) and polished...but then should I have it sprayed with a light acrylic lacquer (prolly cheaper) or really cleaned up well and silver-plated (prolly prettier.) How pricey is a cosmetic refinish now-a-days? Matt, Joe, someone care to comment? Would a little 184 even be worth this kind of expense? Be pragmatic guys, I DO know "it depends" on what I'd wanna do...but if its not too much $$ maybe I'd like to have it satin silver finished like the old alexander in the picture of Mr. Jacobs in Song....

Follow Ups: