Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 26, 1999 at 12:28:54:

In Reply to: Re: Arnold Jacobs recordings posted by tuba fan on December 26, 1999 at 00:15:10:

While I can't completely disagree with your assessment of the Jacob's performance, I think your comment that the excuses for that recording "tend to wear a little thin" is unfair and unjustified. I have firsthand experience with symphony orchestra recording sessions and the story I heard about this particularly recording is not surprising. These types of sessions are often completely out of the control of the soloist. Usually, at least in my experience, there is also a pretty big tug-of-war going on between the producer and the conductor. When these sizes of egos clash, the best musical and time management decisions are not always made. Despite its technical flaws, my opinion is that the Jacob's recording is the most musical I've ever heard, including the Bobo recording you sited. And there is just no comparison between the Chicago Symphony and the orchestra that played for Bobo. The Bobo recording was made at the performance of the Concerto Competition winners that summer and the orchestra had plenty of rehearsal time on the piece. The Interlochen summer orchestras always rehearse these programs ALOT.

I respect your opinions but guess I just disagree with your conclusions and perceptions. I have a very hard time objectively comparing a brilliant high school student's rendition with that of an accomplished professional under adverse conditions. There are just too many mitigating circumstances to compare the two recordings fairly.

Follow Ups: