WERIL 4-piston CC TUBA review and pics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 28, 1999 at 10:53:48:

Here are my observations on the cute little Weril 3/4-size CC tuba. I will try to mostly discuss its weaker points, as overall, my impression is very high. I will also try to review it more like "Consumer Reports", instead of like Ms. Nora Post, for example, does on her oboe-selling websites where newly-reviewed products are always "amazing" and "perfect in every way imaginable".

PITCH: Overall, many or most would probably find the scale on this little tuba to be excellent, and less troublesome than their currently-owned tuba(s), but here are the problems that I found. The high C and B are somewhat flat, but "lip-able". These two notes can be completely "fixed" by substituting the fingering 1 for the high C and 1-2 for the B. Open E in the staff is just a little bit flat, but is so easy to lip, that alternate fingerings are not needed. Next door to that note, the 2nd valve Eb and first valve D are fine. For soloists, the extremely high Eb and E (above the staff) need help with the fingerings 2-3 and 1-2, respectively. Two nice surprizes were the D and Db below the staff -- The regular 4 and 2-4 fingerings are fine, and require almost no adjustment. In the extreme low register, the 1-2-4 fingering for low F actually WORKS, in is in tune without a 5th valve (kinda weird). In addition, 1-2-3-4 WORKS for extremely low Eb. Pushing the limits, the notes trailing off out to the edge (F above middle C, up to C above middle C) all "slot" well, and I think that this would be a great little "Encounters II" (and similar works) tuba, meaning one that could perform "space music" solos that both are very low and very high.

RESPONSE AND TONE: As the BODY of this tuba is virtually an exact copy of the Yamaha 3/4 BBb/CC/F "3/4" body, the tone and response of this instrument is the same as those Yamahas - no more and no less. As a 3/4 instrument, it is very nice and is a very "handy" instrument.

FEATURES: The #1 and #2 upper slides have pull rings on them and the slide fit and alignment is decent (can be "dressed up" nicer with no problems by an instrument servicing person). The left-hand index finger can be placed in the #1 ring, and the left-hand pinky can be placed in the #2 ring. Once mastered, this set-up could fix just about any little pitch problems that one would want to fix. Although there is no 5th rotor (neither on the standard issue Yamaha that it seems to replicate), there are plenty of spots for your repairman to place one, whether before or after the valveset.

APPEARANCE: Again, a "Yamaha-like" 3/4 body with a traditional American-looking .670" bore front-action valveset mounted on it. Finger buttons are large and are chrome-nickel plated.

OPTIONS: This instrument is available in lacquer or silver, with or without case, in BBb or CC, and - at least the BBb and MAYBE the CC - is available not only in a 4-valve model, but also in a 3-valve model.

OVERALL: I enjoy playing this little beast. I never feel the necessity of grabbing and moving tuning slides as I play it, which is nice. I asked my wife if I could have one, and she gave me "that look", so instead of "having one", I'll just try to "keep one in stock". ;^)

PRICING: At least as far as I am concerned, the lacquered "perfect" ones are $2,195 WITH HARD CASE, and can be had for less without case. There are sometimes "blems" available with almost undetectable finish flaws at slightly reduced prices.

PICTURES: Thanks again to Chuck for the web hosting of the three view of this instrument, linked below. They are barely dark-looking, but with flash, the silver plating reflected the flash too much and hid the details.

Follow Ups: