Re: Re: Orchestra opinions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kaseem on December 05, 2000 at 01:56:46:

In Reply to: Re: Orchestra opinions... posted by Erik on December 04, 2000 at 18:27:23:

I had something similar happen and what worked (though not originally intended as a solution) was sitting in the row behind the tbns and tpts. Not all orchestras are set up so this can happen. I was fortunate. I found it easier to hear everyone. The bass trombone player was good, but just insisted sitting with his bell in my ear (leaning back as he played) and there was no way out. The balance behind everyone was much more clear and it was easier to adjust.

Obviously, you have to assert yourself and, if the player's not strong, you have to put in time together, away from everyone, or you're perceived as part of the problem, also. When the two of you play together, most of the orchestra can't easily tell which is the weaker link (you're labelled collectively), you it's up to the stronger player to see that everything is as well-prepared as possible. That's about as much as you can do. Then just put your head down and make sure what you yourself have isn't compromised.
(Sorry about all the text. Got carried away.)

Follow Ups: