Re: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 06, 2000 at 12:08:06:

In Reply to: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too posted by vendor on December 06, 2000 at 02:11:53:

Okay, I'm the guy you're talking about. I understand your point of view, but let me give you mine. The goofy kid at the gas station is using a point-of-sale terminal owned by a large corporation, which has made a large investment in protecting itself from litigation that would result if they were careless with my card number. The kid takes the card, scans it, and hands it back to me (usually without even looking at it!), and it never leaves my sight. As such, all the pieces are in place and I KNOW that I've done my best to protect my information.

Now, the odd internet merchant or long-distance dealer is ALMOST ALWAYS just as careful and probably more honest than the big corporation, but at best he lacks the infrastructure of locked computer rooms in locked wings of locked buildings that are in place at the big corporation. If it's on his answering machine, and somebody breaks in and steals the answering maching (or hacks into it -- this is REALLY easy with most answering machines), then that other person has my number!

Of course, the comments made by others are accurate, namely that my exposure to large-scale loss of funds is limited. But what a hassle! Have you been through the process of reversing fraudulent charges? I have. It's a pain in the neck I'd rather not go through.

Bottom line: you really shouldn't take it as an insult. If you are being paid for quality work or quality merchandise, you have an expression of my confidence in you in my willingness to pay you in advance via ANY means. Now, THAT'S a compliment.

Follow Ups: