Re: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 07, 2000 at 20:33:09:

In Reply to: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861 posted by Neil MacQuarrie on December 07, 2000 at 16:34:33:

Something Neil said really struck a chord with me. His professor is playing an older 4/4 Rudy and it is "a really nice horn". I think this is the key. If you are really sold on the Rudy sound, you should try to find an older 4/4 to purchase. A few years back, they redesigned the wrap on the 4/4 in an attempt to improve the intonation. In my opinion (for the record, I own an older 4/4 from around 1969), the redesign just traded certain intonation problems for others but the sound was changed a little in the process and not for the better. I have played a number of the newer models and not one had the same quality of sound as mine does. Further, I've played several of the older ones and they all have a similar sound to what I get on mine. Certainly there are other quality 4/4 tubas around that you can purchase new. I feel the older 4/4 Rudy gets a very special sound, very similar to the old Alexanders, and if you really have to have that then an older 4/4 Rudy would be the way to go. Good hunting!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: