GROUND FORCES BAND TUBA CONF. - HOORAY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on December 10, 2000 at 11:53:35:

I wanted to take the time to commend several regular posters here and the Boss himself on a great Tuba/Euphonium Conference in Atlanta. I spent three days participating and watching the concerts, Master classes and recitals and I consider it was the best thing on low brass I have experienced in years. Each day things got better and better until the absolutely sensational closing concert on Saturday evening.

First of all, Sgts. Alan Herold and Chris Hite did a fantastic job of organization and presentation. I don't know how they found the time and energy to get everything done that they did but it was classy, showy and wonderful. I play with these two men in the Georgia Brass Band, so I have known them for nearly two years but their talents as administrators were hidden from us until this week-end.

The soloists are sensational. Sean did a wonderful job in his two appearances and plays like he is a part of the band, not an aloof stand alone soloist. His lyricism is great. Pat Sheridan is, as always, unbelievably great. If I could play like that, my valves would catch on fire. David Zerkle introduced himself to Georgia and this conference with a lovely set, in two concerts and a fine master class with Pat Sheridan. Don Palmire's soaring elegance enhanced every appearance he made and the groups he was with. Two local players, Michael Moore, from the Atlanta Symphony and Don Strand, Atlanta Ballet, Opera and local coordinator for Tuba Christmas also played wonderfully. Tuba Christmas was
the conference's Friday morning activity and we were lucky enough to have Harvey Phillips here to direct. His spirit and knowledge always enhance any venture. And, finally, I met Demondrae Thurman, professor of low brass from Alabama State University, Montgomery, a young, wonderfully powerful and sensitive euphoniumist. His debut of a new work, by Patrick Schulz, was quite a hit.

Warburton Mouthpieces, Baltimore Brass, The Tuba Exchange, The Brass Wind Doug Elliot
Mouthpieces and Windsong Press were all in the sponsors' room (along with the main sponsor, the US Army Recruiter). There were enough musical instruments and mouthpieces to keep us busy for a couple of hours.

I am exhausted after three days of conference and mostly, I just watched. Those who put this on should get a week off to recover and then LET'S DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

Follow Ups: