Re: A question for repair guys!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 11, 2000 at 01:16:28:

In Reply to: A question for repair guys!! posted by Mark F. on December 10, 2000 at 23:04:08:

Most of the time when I remove bows I see a LOT of factory solder. Sometimes when bows get pulled off for repairs, a repairman might be guilty of laying in only about a 1/8" - 1/4" bead.

I admit guilt to this myself, sometimes: When I unsmash cheapo school 3/4 tubas, often I won't put a ton of solder back in between the bow and its two connecting joints. After all, if the SAME band director is there for two more years with the same lack of classroom disciple, I'll probably be taking that bow right back off to unsmash it again - ' just try to make it a little easier on myself for future bow pulls AND possibly avoid burning lacquer well enough to stay out of the friggin' buffing room. :^/

When putting big tubas - or personally-owned tubas - back together, I try to be fairly generous with the penetration of the solder.

To answer your question: How much factory solder that ends up in those joints probably varies with the "mood" (or habits) of the person at the factory, and perhaps with how well the parts fit together.

As to what you are doing: I think it might be a mistake. Bottom bows that have EXTENSIVE dents (worth removing the bow for) often have a tendency to "bow in" when being repaired. When I do heavy bottom bow dent removal, more than occasionally I have to yank the two open ends apart a bit and re-iron prior to reassembly. I personally would NOT accept JUST a bottom bow for repair withOUT the rest of the tuba there to check the alignment and fit. What I am implying is that you might get a nice smooth bow back from the repair shop that has to be force-fitted back on to your instrument.

Follow Ups: