Re: Re: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 12, 2000 at 11:53:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F posted by Jay Bertolet on December 11, 2000 at 15:18:52:

In fact, I have tried the low D with the 234 combination, and for exactly the same reason as you--it's the only combination I use on my F tuba (for the low A) between the pedal F and the low B without using the fifth valve.

But I don't do much better with the 234 D on the York than I do with the other notes. And even a low F requires mental preparation--it doesn't flow naturally--and the fourth valve on that instrument is about as close to magic as on any horn I've ever played. I've tried the low Eb with several combinations, 14 (sharp), 124 (flat), 34 (flatter), with the expected results, but even without good tuning, they play more easily than an in-tune D with 234. Maybe if I had better intonation, I would notice the lack of a fifth more.

But it's not the York, per se. I have about the same response on the Miraphone. No, I can't blame the horns for this--it must be that the lower notes are easier on the F tuba because it is smaller and has more resistance.

No, I don't think I'll consider adding a fifth valve on the York. But, as it happens, I do have a brand new valve and tubing set for a Miraphone first valve that I was going to use on the project horn (I nixed that idea--it's just too nice looking to put on that old horn). All I have to do is add a leadpipe and two more crooks, and I can do a Rudy Meinl style fifth valve (ala your Cerveny) on my Miraphone. I'm still thinking this through. If I do it, I'll be able to test your theory.

Speaking of Rudy Meinl, I met a guy at TubaChristmas (DC) yesterday who has a Rudy that he bought from a mutual friend of ours, brokered by their common teacher in Houston. I'd bet it's a carbon copy of yours. You can tell that Rudy Meinl bell shape from across the room. I wonder what our common friend did with his Alex? And I saw one of those, too.

Rick "and I heard Harvey Phillips sing" Denney

Follow Ups: