Re: Binak valve oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Tyler on December 14, 2000 at 11:14:37:

In Reply to: Binak valve oil posted by Ian Easton on December 14, 2000 at 09:40:05:

I am using it on seven piston instruments. My grandchildern's, my children's and my own. It is astonishing on monel piston valves. The manager of a local store cleaned his valves (Bach Strad trumpet), applied the oil, and has played for almost two months without touching them. His valves would catch if you put side pressure on them, but not any more.
I find that with chrome plated pistons you can achieve the same results, but you must not put more than the minimum two drops on each piston. Extra oil on chrome pistons seems to slow them down. On a couple of instruments there was so much hardened petroleum residue I had to clean and apply BiNaK three times before they stopped gumming. (The BiNaK disolves the hardened residue over time.) I have picked up an instrument that had been sitting for over a month and the valves were like I had just oiled them.
I have never played in 100 degree heat. The humidity here (Virginia) is very high and 90 degrees here feels like 110 in Tucson.
I am quite pleased with the oil in all my trials so far. It has only been several months since I started using it, but no problems have shown up so far except over oiling chrome valves.

Jim

Follow Ups: