Re: Re: Re: Is there instrument bias?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 14, 2000 at 15:46:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Is there instrument bias? posted by Erik on December 13, 2000 at 20:34:06:

We tuba players have a double-whammy against us. Not only are our instruments not associated with solo potential, but the concerti we have to work with are challenging on the audience without regard to the instrument. Most concert-goers have to be trained to enjoy the modern stuff, and led along by a patient, but persistent, and always charming Maestro. I haven't heard the Stevens, but it was described as not being particularly melodic.

We don't have any repertoire that is melodic in a way that most folks understand and can relate to more long-standing instruments, except, perhaps, for the middle movement of the Vaughan Williams. If we want those sorts of melodies, we have to either borrow them from another instrument (not likely in modern orchestral performance), or composers must borrow from an earlier musical vocabulary. When I heard that John Williams had done a concerto, I was a little disappointed that he didn't do the latter (as he has done in countless movie scores). Where was the Jabba the Hut theme? That tune showed that he could write characteristically for the tuba in an accessible way.

But even Vaughan Williams, the most august of tuba concerti composers, has (sadly) limited exposure to the public.

Rick "my wife laughs at most of the stuff I practice" Denney

Follow Ups: