Re: Keeping tone consistent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 20, 2000 at 10:39:50:

In Reply to: Keeping tone consistent posted by Ian Easton on December 19, 2000 at 23:13:47:

My opinion about changing vowel sounds for different ranges is that this is a negative thing for tuba players. At least it is for me. This same concept is presented in the Arban method book and my opinion is that the concept is outdated. I've experimented with this technique and I find it does change the quality of the sound. You are quite right in your guess that this is separate from moving the jaw. They are two different, independent things. My biggest complaint about this technique is that it invites raising the tongue in the oral cavity which will eventually obstruct the air flow. On tuba I feel this is very bad. Perhaps the lesser flow rate on trumpet keeps this from being a problem and it may very well be that trumpet and tuba react differently to this technique. In any event, I think you can achieve the same air speed increase by making the aperture in the embouchure smaller while keeping the airflow constant. The benefit of keeping as open an oral cavity as you can comfortably keep the tone centered with is that all the sounds you make will have the same tonal quality and will be of an open nature.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: