Whaddya want for nothing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 20, 2000 at 11:55:13:

I've been troubled for the last week or so about something here. Allow me to beg your indulgence for a moment.

When questions are posed in this forum, there is almost always someone who can specifically answer the question. There are usually others with no specific information to address the actual question, but who have some related information or experience, which they share in order to provide assistance and promote discussion. Usually, this just expands the scope of the discussion, and information is disseminated to all. Unfortunately, in the last week there have been two such instances where the original enquirer got upset about receiving unsolicited advice.

Now, this is Sean's website, not mine, and I'm nobody's Daddy here. But I respectfully submit that we agree on this website to err on the side of too much information rather than too little. When the question about low range evolved into a discussion of facial hair, lip pooching and marital bliss, so what? There were numerous good suggestions about improving low range, discussion of the related topics of embouchure and whisker interference, and a little light-hearted personal banter. This is what I come to TubeNet for! If you think people don't understand the question, then (without beating up those who are trying to help) it might be a good idea to say something like "thanks for all the great insight, but I'd really be interested if anyone has specific info about XXXX." As one of your neighbors on this site, I suggest (nicely ;) that if you ask for information, you graciously accept whatever is given to you, and remember what you are paying for the privilege. To those who got chewed out for trying to be helpful, I say let's give the unhappy ones a break. Maybe they had a bad day or something - could happen to anyone. To all I ask, especially in this week of 'Peace on earth, goodwill among men', let's not reignite the wars in this thread.

Happy Christmas to all!
Joe "Hasn't played 'Sleigh Ride' on bari- -er- euph- -uh- that SMALLER horn in two years, and suffering withdrawal" Baker

Follow Ups: