BB flat tuba for some excerpts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on December 20, 2000 at 16:41:12:

Happy Tiddings to All,

First of all I would like to thank everybody for all of the good information dispensed over this remarkable forum of the last few years. I have only recently started posting on the BBS with any frequency. I have learned ions and for that I am grateful. I hope that this next question might lead me to a better rationale about BBflat instruments.

I have the chance to buy an older Meinl Weston BBflat modle number 20. It has four rotary valves and a recording bell. Some of you may recall I asked about an upright bell, which I am still looking for at a reasonable price. That being said, I would like to add this horn to my "arsenal" regardless of what the opinions are. It is a really good deal for what I believe to be a really good horn. My question is that I play large bore F (Yamaha 822S) and I truly love the horn. Is it socially exceptable to play a BB flat for larger works that are low in orchestra. When I was in college I played in the Symphony for a year and a hlaf on my Yamaha BBflat 321 and did fine. I have an audition coming up and I would like to consider using this horn on the Prokofiev excerpts due to the range and the ease of volume for the BB flat. The question is really whether or not a BB flat tuba if played as well as a CC at an audition is exceptable. I would really like to hear from the guys who do this for a living. FYI I an saving up to get a CC in a couple years but for now I would like to try this horn (BB flat) with an upright bell for some of the lower louder stuff. Have a Happy Holidays!

PS I have looked in the archieves and found some good info...I would like a little more specific answer if possible to my question. Thank you.

Follow Ups: