Re: Re: And the (mouthpiece) beat goes on...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 24, 2000 at 13:56:04:

In Reply to: Re: And the (mouthpiece) beat goes on... posted by Chuck(G) on December 24, 2000 at 00:28:11:

Chuck, I don't want to fiddle with the leadpipe, even to replace it. And I'm definitely not going to replace just the receiver. If figure that's part of what makes this horn sound the way it does, and I have absolutely no problem with the sound.

I would prefer to find the right mouthpiece, even if I have to shave it down to fit. But I'm glad you gave me the Wick with the horn--I would probably never have tried it otherwise.

I have a tuning-stick plan formulating in my brain. It will be operated by the palm of the left hand when it is in position to manipulate the first-valve slide. I got the palm idea from looking at a Besson Prestige, though this design is a straight push rather than the bell-crank Besson uses. Using the palm, the stick is angled far enough behind the valve stack to clear, and will be fairly well centered on the main tuning slide. With springs to hold it up, and adjustment nuts on the limit screw that it already has, it will be like a trigger for the upper register using the Wick. That may be my best alternative.

And, by the way, I've just ordered two euphonium and a tuba leadpipe from Strege-Wuttke. The tuba leadpipe is for my project horn, and the others for the Reynold euphon--er--baritone. I'm giving myself an extra to mess up.

I forgot to ask them, are they pitch filled? If not, where do you buy Cerro-Bend? I almost bought a pile of it on ebay a couple of weeks ago, but the timing was wrong.

Rick "winter's here: project time" Denney

Follow Ups: