Re: BBb vs CC in med.high to high register?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on December 26, 2000 at 20:41:17:

In Reply to: BBb vs CC in med.high to high register? posted by Steve Inman on December 26, 2000 at 19:52:05:

The symptom you are describing pretty well matches what Matt Walters (Dillon) told me on the phone today about the gap mis-match with your horn(s). Once you figure that out, the adjustable gap receiver is apparently the best answer. On a previous post, Matt really did detail what the causes and effects of the mis-matched gap are and how to shim and change to determine where you are in the gap war. It was such a good essay that I copied it and put it in my note book. It is still on the current list.

To amswer your question about BBb or CC horns and how they work in that range; I think you are on to something I have experienced. I found a lot of it disappeared with a change in mouthpieces (to a King 26, away from a Bach 22) and then to a Conn 2. My bugaboo was the lip trill in the Effie Suite IV. Even after getting good istruction from the most knowledgable player in the world, I couldn't do it until I changed equipment. I can do it on an old King Bell Front I have and on a Karl Zeiss I sold recently but not on the HB4C Hirsbrunner I was fighting with. I do it easily on my Willson EEb (1 & 2, lip slur) and on my old Conn EEb, same fingering. HB4C plays the C quite flat and my brain won't allow my lips to play it that flat. Open lip slur is always possible but 1, 4 works better.

Don't know if any of this helps but it is my experience and I confirm what you report, too.

Follow Ups: