Re: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on December 27, 2000 at 23:38:30:

In Reply to: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC) posted by Jules Busslinger on December 27, 2000 at 23:10:03:

I believe there are a number of quintets around that use bass bone instead of tuba. I suppose it all has to do with the sound that you are going after. Maybe try to pick up a cd of a quintet w/bass bone and compare it to one with tuba. A bass bone would blend better with the trumpets and bone (being cylindrical), but the tuba would offer more changes in tonal color. Each has its merits, and they change given what music you are playing. Now, all that being said, if I were in your situation, I would do the following: try to find a friend that has a small cc or eb or f tuba (all of which, btw, have different fingerings from that euph that you played) so that you don't spent $$$ just to find out that bass bone would indeed be better. Find out which sound you and your quintet likes the best. However, if you are a pretty good bass bone player and play trombone anyway, and your sound works with the quintet as a whole, I see little reason to pick up tuba. This, of course, is simply MHO. Good luck.

Erik

Follow Ups: