Re: I need your help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubagoo on December 28, 2000 at 12:47:03:

In Reply to: I need your help posted by Brandon Specht on December 28, 2000 at 00:46:28:

Willson makes that size horn in both sizes of mouth piece receiver. The first advantage that comes to mind for the large bore receiver is greater availablity for different mouthpieces.

There may be a slight difference in tone between the two. IF ANY DIFFERENCE, the smaller receiver (with a more tapered lead pipe) MIGHT be brighter. Either would be fine for a college or professional euphoniumist.

willson is a fine horn...also check out besson sovereign and yamaha 642(large bore, 3 + 1 compensating, large bell etc...)

I personally think the 12 inch bell is getting a bit large for a euphonium.... try the slightly smaller (11" to 11 1/2") bell if you have a chance to compare.

smaller bell, better projection from the back of the band or, as a soloist, over the band from the front of the stage.... just one eupher's opinion.

If you save a bit of money by not buying a Swiss instrument, buy a trombone also. Trombone is the usual second instrument for euphonium players. I went to college as a euphonium major and also played trombone in the big band. Now, I play trombone professionally much more than euphonium

good luck

Follow Ups: