Re: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 28, 2000 at 13:35:16:

In Reply to: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC) posted by Jules Busslinger on December 27, 2000 at 23:10:03:

In various points in my career I have played BBb (186-4u), CC (Yam. 822s, 188-5u), F (Yam. 621s), AND Bass Trombone (yam YSL612, 2 dependent rotors). I feel that you can be successful with any instrument. I had the most success with the 'fone 188-5u CC. A lot of people feel that may to big of a horn, but I felt like it added more dimension to the ensemble than any other instrument (BTW, I feel that you can do just about anything with a good 188). As many people have mentioned, Bass trombone adds a completely different sound than tuba. Personally, I feel the tuba works best because it balances tha french horn with the ensemble. However, a lot of baroque pieces, fanfares, and some lighter modern quintet literature work excellentely an the bass trombone. Also, as someone has already mentioned, refer to the American Brass Quintet as a reference for Bass trombone in the ensemble. I beleive that Mr. Rojak also approahes his playing differentely in this cantext than the "standard" concept used when playing the bass trombone.

Hope this helps.

Matt G

Follow Ups: